Prefer growisofs to wodim for DVD/BluRay burning
Review Request #101208 - Created April 23, 2011 and submitted
K3b 2 defaults to cdrecord for all burning tasks, including DVDs and BluRay discs. Unfortunately, it also does this when cdrecord is actually wodim. This is a bad idea, because wodim's DVD burning code is not the "ProDVD" code in Jörg Schilling's current cdrecord releases, but a much older, buggier and basically unmaintained DVD patch. We cannot ship the ProDVD code in wodim because of licensing conflicts: That code was never released under the GPL, it was relicensed directly from its original proprietary license to the CDDL. But wodim is GPLed, and cannot be relicensed to the CDDL, in fact this was the whole reason for the fork: Jörg Schilling's cdrecord distributes mixed CDDL and GPL code linked together. So the DVD code in wodim is based on an ancient experimental community-contributed DVD support patch for cdrecord (from the times where ProDVD was entirely proprietary). So it's a bad idea to use wodim for DVDs. As for BluRay discs, those aren't currently supported by wodim at all; K3b should detect this, but still, it's better to explicitly default to growisofs there too, in case wodim grows some experimental BluRay support. One concrete known issue with wodim's DVD burning code is that it fails to burn dual-layer DVD+Rs: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=610976 . But chances are there are many more DVD burning bugs in wodim, which are unlikely to get fixed promptly. Growisofs, on the other hand, is designed specifically for DVDs and BluRay disks, doesn't have licensing issues and has been used successfully for DVDs for years (in fact, K3b 1 always used growisofs for DVDs). This patch makes K3b default to growisofs for all DVD or BluRay burning tasks if cdrecord is actually wodim.
Awaiting feedback from Fedora users: https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/k3b-2.0.2-4.fc15 https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/k3b-2.0.2-4.fc14 https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/k3b-2.0.2-4.fc13 https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=610976#c26 I will update the status when we have some testing feedback.